Tuesday, July 7, 2009

When I was ten, the world seemed fresh, as if it had been made, well, ten years before. Everything was possible. Chuck full of optimism my friend Dick Lefevre and I decided to make a pedal powered helicopter. We drew up plans, made drawings, and even did a little (as little as possible) math. We figured that if we could go to the top of some really steep hill and ride like hell down the thing, then the wind would spin the rotor and we could take off. My Dad the engineer looked at the plans and said "this is great, boys. Such ingenuity. There's only one problem."
"What's that?"
"It won't work."
Ah well. Maybe a pedal powered jet pack.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,

    Yes, I'd be delighted to get a copy of your book about Michelangelo. Due to the nature of the book, it's not the kind of book I can devour all at once, but I'm going to chunk my reads and review it on my site, on chapters.indigo.ca, and on Amazon. I'm so happy!

    I had read your Tuesday post, but I didn't reply yet because I wanted to check this thing I had read about concerning Da Vinci's "flying machine" sketches, but I never got around to it. There's an exhibition featuring some of his work in downtown Montreal, but I have yet to visit the exhibition. No one really wants to go with me...

    I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Hope I'm still on your editor's/publisher's good side. How you're able to get a review copy for me, I guess I'll never know, but I'm thankful.

    Let me know when your review page goes up. I would certainly exchange links with you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly forgot...

    My email is: lindanmc (at) gmail.com

    Just send me an email so I can send you my mailing address. I don't know how else I'd receive a copy of your book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim, I'm back from my Toronto-Boston trip. I hope you are well. =)

    -- Linda

    ReplyDelete