Sunday, January 17, 2010

Electronic books

As a writer, I'm up to my chin in the book business, and I can say that the industry has fallen on hard times.  A few authors have made millions while most wander around looking for work. In that, I suppose, it has become like the movie industry.  The pressure comes, like everything else in our time, from the change in technology.  The internet, ereaders, pdf files, and the like have changed the way people read.  Some people argue that the number of readers has dropped, but I think that the reading population has always been small compared to the TV population and now the video game population.  Hopefully, the electronic media will energize the industry once again, and the people who once read paper books will turn to electronic books.

Certainly, from an environmental perspective, the electronic readers are much greener than paper books, because they don't require the corpses of trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment